Thursday, July 3, 2014

THINKING ON JESUS CHRIST

Thinking on Jesus Christ!

I have been reading all of the gospel of Mark each morning for the last week.  I find reading it over and over like any passage or book of the Bible is fascinating. 

As I read I take a journey back in time.   I go back to that world of the first century and see myself standing off to the side unnoticed.   I observe everything.   I listen to everything that is said.   I soak it all in with joy.

First, I am taken back by how much Jesus did in such a very short time.    I have come to the belief that every day and hour of  his life was well planned and thought out.    Nothing happened by accident.    He was on a schedule of life and redemption.   He fulfilled everything perfectly.   Too much was at stake to leave anything to chance.   The redemption of humanity from Adam and Eve to the last sinner on earth hung in the balance.

Second, I am always taken back by the nature of Jesus Christ.   He was both human and divine.   Many questions are not answered as to how this all worked.  But, it is glorious to contemplate.  He was there at the creation, He was there when Adam and Eve sinned and were driven out of the garden, He was there with Noah in the Ark, He was there with Abraham and Joseph.   He was there with Moses and the children of Israel as they left slavery in Egypt.   He was there with Joshua in taking the promised land.   He was there with Samson and his mighty strength and all the Judges of Israel.   He was there with King Saul as he led Israel,  and He turned away when Saul rejected God.   He was there with young David as the stone left his sling shot and hit the great, evil giant Goliath and brought him down.    He was there with David as he led Israel to greatness.   He was there when David repented of sin and He forgave him.   He was there with Solomon as he expanded Israel to the glory that was never to be surpassed.   He was there with all the great prophets of Israel.   He was there and wept when Jerusalem was destroyed.   He was with Daniel in the lion's den.   He was with Daniel all his life and brought him to greatness.   He was always there.   Now this King of Kings and Lord of Lord's is in the gospel of Mark and He is the savior of the world.

Third, I am amazed at the power of His teachings.   To be there to listen to Jesus speak and to look into His eyes would be an awesome experience.    I would hang on every word and try desperately to quickly memorize all his lessons.  He touched the human heart.   He drove the message home like no one could ever do.   He saw my real needs and He fulfilled them.    I would hunger and thirst for more and more from Him.   Hearing Him would make the deepest longings of my soul and heart vibrate and find satisfaction.  After listening to Him, I would never be the same.

Fourth, I see Him on a great rescue mission.   He is telling me to not get so caught up in this world and what it has to offer.   He is telling me to see, to really see what life is all about.   He is calling me to fulfill the mission of my existence.   He is calling me home. 

I have always read the gospels.   I studied and outlined them.   Too often I was looking for a legal code of rules and regulations to hold over myself and others.   Now, I read and see the beautiful Savior.   Now, I grow deeper in love with Him day by day.   I am thankful I have lived long enough to see more clearly the most amazing person of all of human history.  He is my Lord, my King, my Savior, and my Redeemer!  I want to praise Him more and more.   I look forward to tomorrow and another adventure with my Lord as He shows me Himself in the Gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  Each time I read a Gospel I learn more and more.   I never master the subject but I pray that in the effort the subject (Jesus Christ) might master me.
*Allen Ashlock, 2014

No comments: