Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Collecting Stamps (1)



I love to collect stamps.   I have been collecting stamps since I was about age, 12.   There is mystery and excitement in the collecting stamps.   You are able to study and think about all kinds of things  

First, the stamp itself.   It is usually a picture of a place or person, or to commemorate an event.   You learn something right at the first by observation of the stamp and what it commemorates.



Second, you are teased to search for more information.  You will learn much about geography, history and current events.  I have often thought I should go to the schools and speak and talk to the kids about collecting stamps and how it works and what benefits you can achieve from such a hobby.

In our fast age of technology, many have no time for such a hobby.  But, oh what they miss.   Oh, what they miss.  Of course, I realize it is not for everyone.   We all have our interest and things that get our attention.   But, think about it sometime.   It is most enriching.

Above is a a display of the world's first postage stamp.   1840.   Great Britain's Penny Black.   I love stamps of Great Britan.  

I have albums and stamps from all over the world.   They come from far way lands.  As a boy so long ago, they took me on great journeys around the world to a time and place I could never actually go but yet I did go.  I traveled and dreamed and saw and experienced.  

Stamps are vehicles that will transport you to far away adventures.




No comments: