Wednesday, July 16, 2014

THE IMMIGRANTS AMONG US...

THE IMMIGRANTS AMONG US...

I know what I am saying here might come over in a way that will put me in a position of being attacked but here goes.   The children and others flooding our boarders is on the news daily.  Many are outraged and very angry.   I see some very ugly and terrible posts and statements being made by Americans all over regarding these children and adults flooding our boarders.  I have to admit at first I did not understand at all what was going on.   Now, finally I am understanding it better.

I think I should remind everyone that we are all immigrants.   My family came to America in the 18th century looking for a better life.   They left England and sailed the Atlantic on a very dangerous voyage.

I think we should think of these children.   Many of these and their families have fled death and terrible lives.   They dream of America.    They dream of freedom and a better life.   Most of them would make wonderful citizens. 

People across the nation need to calm down and think before speaking and screaming hate.    I realize there is great concern about our President and his policies and leadership or lack of leadership.   I realize the politics of this issue.   I realize the fears people have of terrorists and disease and such.    I feel like most Americans we should have safe and secure borders and a clear immigration policy that makes sense and that is enforced.

Having said all the above I now turn to the human side.   I feel they should show the faces of those coming here and all the little children.    We have been a nation of compassion and mercy for generations and we must continue to do so.   Listen to the Word of God about immigrants entering the land of Israel in the OT era.

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God."  (Lev.  19:33,34).

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, "  (Matt. 12:35).

“You shall not wrong a sojourner or oppress him, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt. "  (Exod. 22:21).

“Then I will draw near to you for judgment. I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who oppress the hired worker in his wages, the widow and the fatherless, against those who thrust aside the sojourner, and do not fear me, says the Lord of hosts."  (Mal. 3:5).

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,"  (Matt. 25:35).

We must as Christians pause and reflect on the kind of heart we should have toward people.  I pray for our nation and leadership.   I pray for these children and their families.   I am sure that each one has a story that would  touch my heart so deeply.

I wish the church nationwide was there at the sites with food and clothing and love.    Maybe some are.   I have not heard.  My Lord was so full of love and mercy.   I think if He were in America now He would be there.

Let us all pause and reflect on our words.   Be sure they are not filled with hate and malice.    I feel there have been times I have said things about all this that I now regret and I pray God to forgive me. 
Living our lives as Christians in America should not be about our pleasures, comforts and the mad race for more and more money.   But, it should be about obeying God, serving God, serving our fellowman, helping the helpless in our land, and trying to change lives for better.
I remember Matthew 25:31-46.   These are things that Jesus is looking at in all our lives.   How do we measure up?

*If life was bad for you and your family and your children were being shot dead in the streets, would your love motivate you to send your children to America for a better life?  Oh God, bless the children.   I pray for answers!  We have plenty of food.  We daily waste so much food in America, enough to feed millions and millions of hungry poor people.   God is watching America.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
    for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
    defend the rights of the poor and needy."  (Prov. 31:8,9).
"A righteous man knows the rights of the poor;
    a wicked man does not understand such knowledge."  (Prov. 29::7).

*Allen Ashlock, 2014



WORDS ON THE STATUE OF LIBERTY

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"



No comments: