Friday, June 27, 2014

THE MEANING OF LIFE

We walk this earth for such a brief moment of time. As we live our lives from birth to the grave we collect this and that. In my house here I have many things that mean a great deal to me. Old portraits hang on the wall, historical items are here and there, many, many books stacked in book shelves, my stamp collection, and other items in my desk drawer and here and there. Upon my death, I doubt that any of these items will be as important to others as they were to me.... These things now dear to me will pass to this one and that one and be circulated to many. Much of it might even be destroyed. Such is life.

We each pass this way but once and then it is over. We cross the stage of life but once and cannot retrace our steps. We must move on.

In thinking of all of this there is wisdom. We must see life not in the accumulation of things but in the living of life. Our life is really most valuable when we seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Let us all press ahead with a strong and active faith to do God's will.
Let us all look at faith, love, grace, mercy, and truth as the greatest concepts and treasures of earth. It is in these great concepts that we shall find the true essence of life. Life is not about what we keep but what we surrender.

"Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Lk. 9:23).

*Allen Ashlock, 2014

No comments: