Friday, June 27, 2014

Dr. Owen H. Clopton

Dr. Owen H. Clopton

  (February 19, 1933 - June 24, 2014)

Owen H. Clopton, M.D, 81, of Jonesboro passed from this life Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at St. Bernard’s Medical Center. Dr. Clopton was the founder of the Clopton Clinic in Jonesboro. All arrangements are incomplete at this time but will be announced by Emerson Funeral Home.
My heart was made sad to learn of the death of Dr. Owen H. Clopton. My memories of him go back to when I was 17 years old and my family and I were attending the Nettleton congregation here in Jonesboro. I decided to attend Freed-Hardeman College. Brother Clopton was there encouraging me all the way. Later I entered in the walkathon to raise money for Freed-Hardeman to build their new auditorium. Dr. Clopton was there to give me a very nice contribution to help me.
As the years edged onward, I remember my beloved grandmother having Dr. Clopton as her doctor and how he tenderly cared for her. She would always talk of him in the most respectful terms.
Over the years I would mail him things I had written and asked his advice. He was always helpful. If he did not agree with me, I would always pause and consider well what he said. He always added to my understanding and knowledge.

On occasion over the past few years I would visit Southwest. I would always seek out where Dr. Clopton was sitting and sit there beside him. He and his wife were most friendly and loving to my wife and I and he always said something to me that encouraged me.
I remember back a few years ago Southwest was using the book, THE STORY. Jimmy Adcox was preaching through the Bible using this book as a study guide. I said something to the effect that I need to get a copy of that book. Dr. Clopton quickly gave me his copy. I was most honored. He had been using it all year and had read it thoroughly. I asked him to sign it for me. Here is what he wrote, "To Allen--love--Owen H. Clopton." I shall treasure this book and his words to me for as long as I live.

In 2012 my beloved Aunt Sue Ashlock passed away. She had been a most faithful nurse and worked in association with Dr. Clopton. Dr. Clopton came to the Hospice house to visit Sue. I remember on her last day of life with us, Dr. Clopton sitting by her bedside. He sit there for quite some time. He held her hand. He felt her pulse. He tenderly gazed upon her. He at one point said after checking her pulse, "It will not be long now." Then, as he left the room, he looked back and said, "Oh to have lived such a life." He was kind and gracious to all of us. I shall never forget him sitting there by her bed holding her hand. What a picture.

Dr. Clopton saved lives and made life better for a countless number of people. His great mind, love, kindness and wisdom have blessed so many. My memories of him and my warm impressions are indeed shared by legions.

I use the Clopton Clinic here in Jonesboro for my medical care. It gives me joy and comfort when I walk in the main lobby and see the beautiful portrait of Dr. Clopton. It will now have new meaning for me and many others as we see the portrait and are reminded of this great and good man. I remember the dedication of the Clopton Clinic and when this portrait was unveiled. When Dr. Clopton first saw it, tears filled his eyes.

I look at Dr. Clopton as a very good man, a very great man, and a man that I can think of in my memory as one that I am so glad I have known.

Thank you, Dr. Clopton. Thank you for your service to mankind, thank you for your faith in Jesus, and thank you for your dedication and service to the church. I thank you for being my friend and for the encouragement in life you have given me. God bless you and hold you in His arms. I am sure that even now you rejoice with good health, peace and joy! Your love and faith now shines bright in glory!  *Allen Ashlock, 2014

No comments: