Monday, August 12, 2013

Running For Homeplate

 
 
I turned 58, Saturday. My wife and I were in Tulsa, OK to celebrate the grand occasion with my daughter and her husband and my three wonderful grandchildren. It was decided we would play ball. So, there I was up to bat in all my glory, I hit the ball and ran with great fanfare. I ran past first, then second, and then 3rd, and then I was in trouble, my wife held the ball just inches from me.  
 
However, not to be undone, I distracted her and ran with great might and then I DIVED ON HOME PLATE WITH THE FULL MIGHT OF AN OLYMPIAN. I landed hard on my arm and chest and for a moment of time, I felt suspended between heaven and earth. All gathered around me with great worry. I gasped for air, but finally, all was calm. My granddaughter was in panic, crying, and my 4 year old grandson was overheard to say, "well, I guess we will have to get a new pitcher". Oh well, none of us are indispensable. 
Even at 58, I still have it in me to run forth to home plate. Today, I can barely walk, even breathing, hurts. My mind said, I can do it. My body says, "your not 18". We must even at 58, reach for glory. Never give up. Oh, please pass the Aleve.

No comments: