Thursday, August 29, 2013

Early Memories of Church and Family! 1960








Early Memories of Church and Family! 1960

The picture here is people leaving church services in 1960. I remember 1960. I was just 5 years old. But, I have some memories. There I was with mom and dad at the Nettleton Church of Christ, Jonesboro, Arkansas. The building was over by the railroad tracks in the Nettleton community. 1960 was a different time and age.


Jack Lawhorn was the preacher. One Sunday, he preached on God's grace and accepting that grace in our lives. He used an illustration of saying he had some coins in his pocket. He called for Leroy West to come to the pulpit to receive what he had in his pocket. Leroy would not go for he was too shy. He called upon me to come, and I looked at mom and dad for permission and once I had their permission, I raced to the pulpit. He gave me a hand full of pennies and I went back to sit with mom and with a big smile on my face.

There was about 100 in attendance. All were filled with love and joy. One Sunday morning in Bible class, sister Eva West said we were going to be moving to a new church building on highway 18. The men of the church would be building that structure. It was a happy time. Jonesboro was about 10,000 population at that period of history. Sister West had a new school desk and chair in the Bible class room. She said we would all have such a seat in our new class rooms. We each got to sit at the desk and experience the moment. It was grand. We were all so excited. She taught us the Bible and urged us to study and live for God.

Simple days of yesterday filled with love and joy and respect for the Word. Such days I shall never forget. We all dressed our best on Sunday. Dad with his nice suit and polished shoes. Mom with a very pretty dress and hat. I would wear a nice shirt, tie, polished shoes, and often a jacket. We as children had such great respect for the church, the Bible and our God. We respected the preacher and church leaders and knew that church was serious and we loved the church.

In school in the early 1960's, I attended Nettleton Elementary. Each morning we would pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and then hear the Bible read, and then as we all stood, we would bow our heads in prayer. Then our day of class and instruction would begin. We raised our hand for permission to ask questions or make a statement. We saluted the flag, loved America, loved and respected our teachers and did our duty. Once we had a class project in 3rd grade. We were go out and sell New Testaments. The kids that sold 10 of the New Testament for 2 dollars each would receive a beautiful light switch to put in their bedroom. It depicted Jesus and the children. Such were the days of my childhood.

If you watch the Andy Griffith show reruns, you see Mayberry and little Opie Taylor. In many ways I lived the life of Opie Tayor in my early childhood. I would run barefooted through the Nettleton Main street and run into a barber shop, called Lepo's which was just liked Floyd's in the Andy Griffith show. I would run to the fire station and check out a book at the library there, and play with the fire station dog. There was a Diner called, "Rainwater's Cafe". There I could get a hamburger, fries, and milkshake for about 50 cents. Life was good and life was innocent

I am thankful for those days of childhood. I am thankful to the church of that day, in 1960. So many good saints of that time are now all gone, including my sainted mother. But, the memories are ever with me and I cherish them so.

These are some of my many memories that I now reflect upon. My life is like a great house. It has many rooms. One is the room that I just now shared with you. The longer I live the more rooms of memories that are added.

God be praised.

No comments: